Translation of lotto in English:
- 1 (gioco d'azzardo)lotto, lottery, National lottery (in GB)giocare al lottoto play lotto o the numbers o the numbers gameestrazione del lotto ricevitoria del lottoNational Lottery Game retailer (British English)schedina del lottoplayslip, lottery ticket
Cultural Note: Lotto
The lottery appeared in Italy in Genoa in the 16th century, and spread to the different Italian states in the course of the following century. It has been controlled directly by the State since the 18th century, with weekly draws on Saturdays in 10 cities ( ruote or lottery drums) since 1871. Over the centuries the practice of interpreting dreams in order to select lottery numbers has become popular and this mixture of mysticism and cabalism is encapsulated in the book Smorfia (from the name of Morpheus). The old game still shows huge potential for further development, such as the recent, very popular Superenalotto.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com