Translation of mafia in English:
Cultural Note: Mafia
The Sicilian Mafia (also known as Cosa Nostra) underwent a period of great development after World War II, creating an alternative power base that was partly complementary to that of the State. Starting off in illegal activities such as extortion and money-lending, it then took control of the construction industry and the allocation of public contracts, finally taking over drug trafficking, which brought it massive income. The power of the Mafia is all concentrated at the top (a strict hierarchy of families) and it is distinguished by its strong ties to and complicity with the people with political power.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com