Translation of mezzogiorno in English:
- 1 (ora) a mezzogiornoat midday, at 12 noon, at 12 o'clock middaymezzogiorno e un quarto(a) quarter past twelvemezzogiorno e mezzohalf past twelvea mezzogiorno in punto partiremo verso mezzogiornowe'll leave at around midday o noongiovedì a mezzogiornoThursday lunchtimeche cosa si mangia a mezzogiorno?what are we having for lunch?
- 2 (punto cardinale) (meridione) essere esposto a mezzogiornoto face south, to have a southern exposure
Cultural Note: Mezzogiorno
(or the Meridione) A term which means southern Italy, including Sicily and Sardinia. The south has a wealth of artistic treasures and beautiful countryside but economically it is less industrialized than the rest of Italy. In 1950 a special public body, the Cassa del Mezzogiorno, was set up to finance the development of the south with wide-ranging financial measures. Nowadays the Cassa del Mezzogiorno does not exist any more. However, the development of the south still remains a major problem for Italy today.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com