What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Cultural Note: Oratorio
In Italy there are thousands of these parish recreation centres (usually buildings with playgrounds and playing fields attached to Catholic parishes), where teenagers and younger children go after school to meet up, do different recreational activities (the usual games of football but also many other sports, drama, etc) and have religious education (learning the catechism), run by priests and their lay colleagues. Created by S. Giovanni Bosco, the founder of the Salesians in the mid-nineteenth century, to keep poor children away from immorality and crime, they have become a typical feature of the lives of young Italians from all social backgrounds.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com