Translation of piazza in English:
- 1 (spiazzo) la piazza del paesethe village squarela piazza del mercatothe marketplacela folla si è riversata in piazzathe crowd surged (out) onto the streetsscendere in piazza [figurative]to take to the streetspiazza Rossa
- 2 (Economics, Business) la piazza di Londrathe London marketè il migliore attore comico, cuoco sulla piazzahe's the best comedian, chef in the business o on the market
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Cultural Note: Piazza Affari
The Milan Stock Exchange, the most important one in Italy, goes back to 1808, and is today housed in the Palazzo della Borsa (built between 1928 and 1931), in Piazza degli Affari in the centre of the city. The media use the term Piazza Affari to mean the Milan Stock Exchange.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com