Translation of repubblica in English:
Cultural Note: Repubblica
The republic was founded in Italy after the end of World War II, and was based on the results of the referendum of 2nd June 1946, which abolished the monarchy in favour of a republican state. The constitution drawn up in 1948 established the fact that it was a parliamentary republic (see also → Costituzione).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com