nome proprio maschile
Cultural Note: Risorgimento
This is the name given to the historic period of struggle for independence and Italian unity from its first movements (1820-21, 1831) to the insurrections and wars 1848-66. The major events were the three wars of independence against the Austro-Hungarians (1848-49, 1859 and 1866) and the expedition of Garibaldi's Thousand in 1860. The moderate monarchist line prevailed over the republican revolutionary tendency of Giuseppe Mazzini, and the House of Savoy took the throne of Italy in 1861. Rome became the capital in 1871.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com