Translation of senato in English:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Cultural Note: Senato
The upper house of the Italian Parliament. Since the recent reforms, it has been known as the Senato federale (federal senate) and the number of senators has been cut from 315 to 252, elected by universal suffrage by citizens over 25 years of age. Senators must be at least 40 years old. The seats are elected on a regional basis, i.e. they are split between the regions in proportion to population. The elected senators are joined by ex-heads of state and life senators nominated by the President of the Republic from people who have given exceptional service to the country in the scientific, social, artistic or literary fields.
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com