Translation of vigile in English:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Cultural Note: Vigile urbano
This policeman is a typically Italian figure. Among his duties is controlling the traffic, and therefore also levying fines, for example for parking in a no parking zone or riding a motorcycle without a helmet. He is also responsible for environmental protection and for ensuring that municipal regulations (such as correct opening hours and the prices charged in public businesses) are observed, and town laws respected. Finally, he also deals with social problems, such as abandoned children and the monitoring of refugees' and travellers' camps. The body of vigili urbani has no link with the police: it is organized and run directly by each local authority and comes under the control of the mayor. In some places it is called polizia municipale (municipal police) or polizia locale (local police).
Subscribe to Oxford Dictionaries Italian
- Italian-English and English-Italian dictionary
- more than 750,000 words, phrases, and translations, including idioms
- covers Italian and British & American English
- thousands of example sentences to show language in use
- listen to Italian words and sentences
- hundreds of grammar and usage notes for tricky translation problems
- up-to-date and accurate translations
- remove adverts*
*Advertising-free access on main Oxforddictionaries.com site only. Advertising also appears in embedded videos on Oxforddictionaries.com