Translation of adelantar in English:
verbo transitivo/transitive verb
- 2 (pasar) 2.1 [Automovilismo/Cars] to pass, overtake 2.2 [corredor] to overtake, pass me adelantó en la recta she overtook me o passed me o got past me o got ahead of me on the straight
- 3 3.1 [información] por el momento no podemos adelantar ninguna noticia/información at the moment we cannot release any news/release o/or disclose any information te adelanto que la obra no es ninguna maravilla I can tell you now o/or I warn you, the play is nothing special les adelantamos la programación de mañana here is a rundown of tomorrow's programs les adelantamos que el próximo lunes no habrá servicio [formal] we wish to advise you that there will be no service next Monday [formal] 3.2 [dinero] te adelanto 1.000 a cuenta de lo que te debo I'll give you 1,000 toward(s) what I owe you no me quiso adelantar nada sobre el sueldo she wouldn't give me an advance on my salary la empresa te adelanta el dinero para comprar un billete anual the company lends you the money o/or gives you a loan to buy an annual season ticket
verbo intransitivo/intransitive verb
- 1 1.1 (avanzar) to make progress la ciencia ha adelantado mucho en los últimos años science has advanced a great deal in recent years con tanto ruido no he adelantado nada with all this noise, I've made absolutely no progress o/or I haven't managed to get on with anything 1.2 [reloj] to gain
verbo pronominal/pronominal verb (adelantarse)
- 1 1.1 (avanzar) to move forward 1.2 (ir delante) to go ahead se adelantó para ir comprando las entradas she went (on) ahead to buy the tickets
- 2 (ocurrir antes de lo esperado) este año el verano/la nieve se ha adelantado summer/the snow is early this year un intelectual que se adelantó a su tiempo an intellectual who was ahead of his time
- 3 (anticiparse) no nos adelantemos a los acontecimientos let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's not jump the gun [familiar/colloquial] (+ me/te/le etc) yo iba a pagar, pero él se me adelantó I was going to pay, but he beat me to it cuando me decidí por el piso alguien se me había adelantado when I decided to take the apartment, someone had beaten me to it o/or got in ahead of me
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Radio broadcasting in Spain began in the 1920s. The state-run Radio Nacional de España (RNE) was established during the Civil War. There are many private radio stations and they compete fiercely. Radio personalities are paid huge salaries, out of which they employ the staff for their programs.