Translation of animar in English:
- 1 1.1 (alentar)(levantar el espíritu)tu visita lo animó muchoto cheer … upanimar a alguienyour visit cheered him up a lot o really lifted his spirits
a+ infinitivome animó a presentarme al concursoto encourage somebody to + infinitivoanimar a alguienhe encouraged me to enter the competition a que+ subjuntivotraté de animarlo a que continuarato encourage somebody to + infinitivo1.2 (dar vida a, alegrar)I tried to encourage him to carry on(fiesta/reunión)los niños animan mucho la casael vino empezaba a animarlosthe children really liven the house up1.3 (con luces, colores)the wine was beginning to liven them up o to make them more livelylas luces y los adornos animan las calles en Navidadto brighten uplights and decorations brighten up the streets at Christmas
also: animarse verbo pronominal
- 1.1 (alegrarse, cobrar vida)(persona)1.2 (cobrar ánimos) se animó mucho al vernoscome to lifeanimarseshe cheered up o brightened up o [familiar] perked up a lot when she saw us
a+ infinitivosi me animo a salir te llamo¿no se anima nadie a ir?if I decide to go out o if I feel like going out, I'll call you1.3 (atreverse)animarsedoesn't anyone feel like going?doesn't anyone want to go? a+ infinitivo¿quién se anima a planteárselo al jefe?yo no me animo a tirarme del trampolínwho's going to be brave enough o who's going to be the one to tackle the boss about it?[familiar]a ver si te animas a hacerloI can't bring myself to o I don't dare dive off the springboardal final me animé a confesárselowhy don't you have a go?I finally plucked up the courage to tell her
- A esa ciudad llegarán para animar al público local, a propósito de las fiestas julianas.
- Por ello me animé a escribir este pequeño artículo.
- También se presentaron cantantes y agrupaciones de música moderna para animar al público juvenil.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.