Translation of callar in English:
- calla, que no me dejas oírto be quiet[familiar]lloró toda la noche, no hubo manera de hacerlo callarbe quiet o shut up, I can't hearya tiene tres niños — ¡calla! [familiar]he cried all night, nothing we could do would make him stopquien calla otorgashe has three children now — never! o she hasn't![familiar]silence implies o gives consent
also: callarse verbo pronominal
- 1.1 (guardar silencio)¡cállate!to be quiet¡cállate la boca! [familiar]be quiet!shut up![familiar][argot]¿te quieres callar de una vez?cuando entró todos se callaronwill you shut up!la próxima vez no me callaréwhen he walked in everyone went quiet o stopped talking1.2 (no decir)next time I won't keep quiet(noticia)to keep … quietkeep … to oneself
- Hoy el poder político no requiere de la violencia física para callar una verdad.
- En esta ciudad hay que aprender a callar muchas cosas.
- Calla la voz mas no la vida, mueres pero sigues viva.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.