Translation of cerrado in English:
- 1 1.1 [puerta/ventana] closed, shut; [ojos/boca] closed, shut; [mejillones/almejas] closed la puerta estaba cerrada con llave the door was locked tenía los ojos cerrados she had her eyes closed o/or shut el frasco no está bien cerrado the top ( o/or lid etc) isn't on properly, the jar isn't closed properly un sobre cerrado a sealed envelope las cortinas estaban cerradas the curtains were drawn o/or closed normalmente tenemos la mesa cerrada we usually keep the table closed/down 1.2 [válvula] closed, shut off los grifos están cerrados the taps are turned off
- 3 3.1 (confinado, limitado) [espacio/recinto] enclosed 3.2 (cargado) [ambiente] stuffy 3.3 [grupo] un círculo de amigos muy cerrado a very closed circle of friends un club de ambiente cerrado y snob a club with a very exclusive and snobbish atmosphere 3.4 [Matemáticas/Mathematics] [serie/conjunto] closed circuito
- 4 [Lingüística/Linguistics] 4.1 [vocal] close, closed 4.2 [acento/dialecto] broad tiene un acento andaluz cerrado he has a broad o/or thick Andalusian accent
- 6 6.1 (nublado) overcast 6.2 (referiéndose a la noche) ya era noche cerrada cuando salimos when we left it was already completely dark
- 8 (enérgico) lo recibieron con una cerrada ovación he was given an ecstatic reception mantienen una cerrada pugna por el título they are engaged in a fierce fight for the title
- 9 [persona] 9.1 (poco receptivo, intransigente) son muy cerrados y no se adaptan a estas novedades they're very set in their ways and they won't adapt to these new ideas no lo vas a convencer, es muy cerrado you'll never persuade him, he's very stubborn o/or he's very set in his waysestar cerrado
aalgo está cerrado a todo lo que signifique cambiar his mind is closed to o/or he's against anything that involves change el país ha estado cerrado durante años a todo tipo de influencias externas the country has, for years, been shut off from all outside influence 9.2 (poco comunicativo) uncommunicative 9.3 [familiar/colloquial] (torpe) dense [familiar/colloquial], thick [familiar/colloquial] es muy cerrado de mollera he's very dense [familiar/colloquial], he's as thick as two short planks (inglés británico/British English) [familiar/colloquial]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A patera is a boat with a shallow draft, used by illegal immigrants, known as balseros, to cross the Straits of Gibraltar from Morocco to southern Spain.