Translation of convencer in English:
- 1 1.1 (de un hecho, una idea) no se dejó convencerconvencer a alguienshe wouldn't be convinced o persuaded
dealgola convenció de la necesidad de tomar medidasto convince somebody ofsomethingno logré convencerlo de lo contrariohe convinced her of the need to take actionlos convencí de que hablaba en serioI couldn't persuade him otherwiseel artículo me convenció de que era verdad lo que se rumoreabaI persuaded o convinced them that I was seriousme costó convencerla de que no tenía razónthe article convinced me that the rumors were true1.2 (para hacer algo) yo no quería ir pero mi hermana me convencióI had difficulty convincing her that she was wrongconvencer a alguienI didn't want to go but my sister persuaded me to o persuaded me o talked me into it paraor de que+ subjuntivoa ver si la convences para que nos dé las llavesto persuade somebody to + infinitivono logramos convencerlo de que apoyara nuestra mocióndo you think you can talk her into giving us o persuade her to give us the keys?no pude convencerlo de que me prestara dinerowe couldn't persuade him to support our motionwe couldn't convince him that he should support our motionI couldn't persuade him to lend me any money
- 2 (en frases negativas) (satisfacer) See examples: es simpático, pero no me acaba de convencerno me convence del todo la ideahe's nice enough but there's something about him I don't like o something about him I'm not sure aboutla explicación que dio no convenció a nadieI'm not absolutely sure o completely convinced about the ideame cuesta decidirme porque ninguno me convence demasiadohis explanation wasn't at all convincingserá muy buena actriz, pero en ese papel no me convenceI can't decide because I'm not really sure about any of them o because none of them is really what I was aftershe may be a very good actress, but I don't like her in that role
also: convencerse verbo pronominal
- se lo he dicho mil veces pero no se convence¡convéncete, estás equivocado!I've told him hundreds of times but he won't be convinced o he won't believe itconvencersebelieve me, you're wrong!
dealgo¿ahora te convences de que tenía razón?te tienes que convencer de que tu madre tiene razónnow do you believe I was right?you have to accept that your mother is right
- El romance y las actuaciones tampoco me parece que llegan a convencer.
- Cada día me convenzo que vivo en un país diferente.
- No se llega con los mismos términos a convencer a las distintas personas.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.