Translation of engañar in English:
- 1.1 (embaucar) See examples: no te dejes engañarsé que no estuviste allí, tú a mí no me engañasdon't be misled o fooled o deceived o taken ina él no se lo engaña tan fácilmenteI know you weren't there, you can't fool mete han engañado, no está hecho a manohe's not so easily fooled o duped o deceivedhe's not taken in that easilyme engañó la vistayou've been cheated o conned o had o done, it's not handmade[familiar]si la memoria no me engañamy eyes deceived o misled melas apariencias engañan engañar el hambre or el estómagoif my memory serves me right o correctlycomimos un poco de queso para engañar el hambreto keep the wolf from the door[familiar]1.2 (ser infiel a)we had some cheese to keep the wolf from the door o to take the edge off our appetites o to keep us goingsu marido la engaña con la secretariato be unfaithful tocheat on(inglés norteamericano) [familiar]her husband's being unfaithful to her o cheating on her, he's having an affair with his secretary
also: engañarse verbo pronominal
- 1.1 (reflexivo) (mentirse)no te engañes, no se va a casar contigoto deceive oneselfdelude oneselfkid oneself[familiar]1.2 (equivocarse)don't deceive o delude o kid yourself, she's not going to marry youduró, si no me engaño, hasta noviembreto be mistakenit lasted until November, if I'm not mistaken
- Humala y Toledo juntos están engañando a todos los peruanos!
- En verdad hay que querer ser tonta para dejarse engañar así.
- La clave es engañar y manipular a la audiencia.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
A portero is a superintendent in an apartment building who looks after it, keeps it clean, delivers mail, and keeps an eye on comings and goings. Porteros often have an apartment in the building as part of their pay. The portero, and particularly the female portera, are part of popular culture. They have a reputation for being inquisitive and fond of gossip.