Translation of engañar in English:
- 1.1 (embaucar) See examples: no te dejes engañarsé que no estuviste allí, tú a mí no me engañasdon't be misled o fooled o deceived o taken ina él no se lo engaña tan fácilmenteI know you weren't there, you can't fool mete han engañado, no está hecho a manohe's not so easily fooled o duped o deceivedhe's not taken in that easilyme engañó la vistayou've been cheated o conned o had o done, it's not handmade[familiar]si la memoria no me engañamy eyes deceived o misled melas apariencias engañan engañar el hambre or el estómagoif my memory serves me right o correctlycomimos un poco de queso para engañar el hambreto keep the wolf from the door[familiar]1.2 (ser infiel a)we had some cheese to keep the wolf from the door o to take the edge off our appetites o to keep us goingsu marido la engaña con la secretariato be unfaithful tocheat on(inglés norteamericano) [familiar]her husband's being unfaithful to her o cheating on her, he's having an affair with his secretary
also: engañarse verbo pronominal
- 1.1 (reflexivo) (mentirse)no te engañes, no se va a casar contigoto deceive oneselfdelude oneselfkid oneself[familiar]1.2 (equivocarse)don't deceive o delude o kid yourself, she's not going to marry youduró, si no me engaño, hasta noviembreto be mistakenit lasted until November, if I'm not mistaken
- Humala y Toledo juntos están engañando a todos los peruanos!
- En verdad hay que querer ser tonta para dejarse engañar así.
- La clave es engañar y manipular a la audiencia.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
In some parts of Spain, the name given to a weekly open-air flea market where all kinds of items are sold is a rastro. The name El Rastro as such refers to a very big market of this type held in Madrid at weekends.