Translation of ganar in English:
verbo transitivo/transitive verb
- 1 1.1 (mediante el trabajo) to earn gana un buen sueldo she earns o/or she's on a good salary ¿cuánto ganas al mes? how much do you earn a month? lo único que quiere es ganar dinero all he's interested in is making money 1.2 (conseguir) to gain ¿y qué ganas con eso? and what do you gain by (doing) that? no ganamos nada con ponernos nerviosos getting all worked-up won't get us anywhere
- 2 2.1 [carrera/competición/partido] to win; [elecciones] to win; [guerra/batalla] to win; [juicio] to win ganaron el campeonato they won the championship le gané la apuesta I won my bet with him ganarle el quién vive a algn (Chile) [familiar/colloquial] to beat sb to it [familiar/colloquial], to get in first [familiar/colloquial] 2.2 (en un juego, concurso) [premio/dinero] to win ¿cuánto ganaste en las carreras de caballos? how much did you win on the horses? ha ganado mucho dinero al póquer she's won a lot of money at o/or playing poker
- 3 (adquirir) ganó fama y fortuna she won fame and fortune su partido ha ido ganando popularidad his party has been gaining in popularity ha ganado importancia en los últimos años it has grown in importance in recent years
- 4 4.1 [persona] ganar a algn
paraalgo to win sb over tosth lo ganó para su causa she won him over to her cause 4.2 (reclamar) to reclaim las tierras ganadas al mar the land that has been reclaimed from the sea
verbo intransitivo/intransitive verb
- 1 (mediante el trabajo) to earn apenas gana para vivir she hardly earns enough to live on no ganar para disgustos/sustos to have nothing but trouble
- 2 2.1 (vencer) to win que gane el mejor may the best man win ganaron los Republicanos the Republicans won o/or were victorious van ganando 2 a 1 they're winning 2-1, they're 2-1 up o/or ahead 2.2ganarle a algn to beat sb nos ganaron por cuatro puntos they beat us by four points siempre que juega al ajedrez con su hijo se deja ganar she always lets her son beat her at chess, whenever she plays chess with her son she lets him win me ha vuelto a ganar she's beaten me again a mentiroso nadie le gana or no hay quien le gane when it comes to lying there's no one to touch him se dejó ganar por el abatimiento he allowed his depression to get the better of him
- 3 (aventajar)ganarle a algn
enalgo le ganas en estatura you're taller than him habla mejor inglés, es más guapo … la verdad es que me gana en todo he speaks better English, he's better looking … the truth is he beats me on every count
- 4 (mejorar, obtener provecho) ha ganado mucho con el nuevo peinado her new hairstyle has really done a lot for her con estas modificaciones el texto ha ganado en claridad the text has become much clearer o/or has gained in clarity with these changes el salón ha ganado mucho con estos cambios these changes have really improved the living room ganó mucho con su estancia en Berlín he gained a lot from o/or got a lot out of his stay in Berlin salir ganando, es el único que salió ganando de la mudanza he's the only one who benefited o/or gained from the move no lo esperaba pero al final salí ganando I didn't expect to but in the end I came out of it better off o/or I did well out of it, I didn't expect to but I ended up better off saldrán ganando de esta reestructuración they will benefit from o/or they stand to gain from this restructuring
- 5 (México/Mexico) [familiar/colloquial] (dirigirse) ganar para un lugar to go off toward(s) somewhere
verbo pronominal/pronominal verb (ganarse)
- 1 (enfático) (mediante el trabajo) to earn se ganó mil dólares en una semana she earned (herself) a thousand dollars in one week
- 3 [afecto] to win; [amistad/confianza] to win, gain; [persona] to win … over ha sabido ganarse el respeto de todos she has managed to win o/or earn everyone's respect sabe ganarse a los amigos he knows how to make friends
- 4 (ser merecedor de) te has ganado unas buenas vacaciones you've earned yourself a good vacation (inglés norteamericano/American English) o/or (inglés británico/British English) holiday te estás ganando una paliza you're going to get a good thrashing, you're asking for a good thrashing ganarse algo a pulso to earn sth el ascenso se lo ha ganado a pulso he's really worked (hard) for o/or he's really earned this promotion ganársela (España/Spain) [familiar/colloquial], como no te calles te la vas a ganar if you don't shut up, you're going to get it o/or you're for it [familiar/colloquial]
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Radio broadcasting in Spain began in the 1920s. The state-run Radio Nacional de España (RNE) was established during the Civil War. There are many private radio stations and they compete fiercely. Radio personalities are paid huge salaries, out of which they employ the staff for their programs.