Translation of gastar in English:
verbo transitivo/transitive verb
- 1 (consumir) 1.1 [dinero] to spend gastar algo
enalgo to spend sth onsth ha gastado un dineral en arreglar la casa she's spent a fortune on doing up the house 1.2 [gasolina/electricidad] to use estamos gastando demasiada agua we're using too much water ¿ya has gastado toda la leche? you haven't used up all the milk already! no sé ya cuántas cajas he gastado esta semana I don't know how many boxes I've got through o/or gone through this week apágala, me vas a gastar las pilas turn it off, you're going to run the batteries down
- 2 (desperdiciar, malgastar) [dinero] to waste, squander; [tiempo/energía] to waste; [gasolina/electricidad] to waste
- 4 4.1 [familiar/colloquial] (llevar, usar) [ropa/gafas] to wear gasta barba he has a beard gasto el 37 I'm a size 37, I take a (size) 37 ¿qué marca de cigarrillos gastas? what brand of cigarettes do you smoke? 4.2 [familiar/colloquial] [genio/modales] ¡vaya unos modales que gasta con su padre! what a way to behave toward(s) her father! ten cuidado porque ese gasta un genio … be careful, he has a terrible temper! gastarlas (España/Spain) [familiar/colloquial], ya sabes cómo las gasta you know how nasty he can get
- 5 [broma] to play siempre está gastando bromas he's always playing practical jokes le gastaron una broma they played a joke o/or trick on him
verbo pronominal/pronominal verb (gastarse)
- 1 (enfático) [dinero] to spend ¿ya te has gastado todo lo que te di? you don't mean to say you've already spent all the money I gave you!
- 2 (consumirse) to run down estas pilas se gastan enseguida these batteries run down so quickly o/or last no time at all está gastada la batería the battery's flat, the battery's run down se me ha gastado la tinta I've run out of ink
- 3 [ropa/zapatos] (desgastarse) to wear out se le gastaron los codos a la chaqueta the elbows of his jacket wore thin/wore through
- 4 (enfático) [familiar/colloquial] (tener) to have ¡vaya modales que se gasta! that's a fine way to behave, isn't it? se gasta un genio de mil demonios he has a hell of a temper [familiar/colloquial] ¡qué pinta de hippy se gasta! he looks like a real hippy! con la puntería que se gasta, no puede fallar she's such a good shot, she won't miss
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A patera is a boat with a shallow draft, used by illegal immigrants, known as balseros, to cross the Straits of Gibraltar from Morocco to southern Spain.