- 1 (consumir) 1.1 [dinero] to spend gastar algo
enalgo to spend sth onsth ha gastado un dineral en arreglar la casa she's spent a fortune on doing up the house 1.2 [gasolina/electricidad] to use estamos gastando demasiada agua we're using too much water ¿ya has gastado toda la leche? you haven't used up all the milk already! no sé ya cuántas cajas he gastado esta semana I don't know how many boxes I've got through o gone through this week apágala, me vas a gastar las pilas turn it off, you're going to run the batteries down
- 2 (desperdiciar, malgastar) [dinero] to waste, squander; [tiempo/energía] to waste; [gasolina/electricidad] to waste
- 4 4.1 [familiar/colloquial] (llevar, usar) [ropa/gafas] to wear gasta barba he has a beard gasto el 37 I'm a size 37, I take a (size) 37 ¿qué marca de cigarrillos gastas? what brand of cigarettes do you smoke? 4.2 [familiar/colloquial] [genio/modales] ¡vaya unos modales que gasta con su padre! what a way to behave toward(s) her father! ten cuidado porque ese gasta un genio … be careful, he has a terrible temper! gastarlas (Esp) [familiar/colloquial], ya sabes cómo las gasta you know how nasty he can get
- 5 [broma] to play siempre está gastando bromas he's always playing practical jokes le gastaron una broma they played a joke o trick on him
gastarse v pron
- 1 (enf) [dinero] to spend ¿ya te has gastado todo lo que te di? you don't mean to say you've already spent all the money I gave you!
- 2 (consumirse) to run down estas pilas se gastan enseguida these batteries run down so quickly o last no time at all está gastada la batería the battery's flat, the battery's run down se me ha gastado la tinta I've run out of ink
- 3 [ropa/zapatos] (desgastarse) to wear out se le gastaron los codos a la chaqueta the elbows of his jacket wore thin/wore through
- 4 (enf) [familiar/colloquial] (tener) to have ¡vaya modales que se gasta! that's a fine way to behave, isn't it? se gasta un genio de mil demonios he has a hell of a temper [colloquial/familiar] ¡qué pinta de hippy se gasta! he looks like a real hippy! con la puntería que se gasta, no puede fallar she's such a good shot, she won't miss
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Sanfermines (The festival of San Fermín) is from 6th-14th July and el encierro (the 'running of the bulls'), takes place in Pamplona in northern Spain. The animals are released into the barricaded streets and people run in front of them, in honor of the town´s patron saint, San Fermín, who was put to death by being dragged by bulls.