Translation of plantar in English:
verbo transitivo/transitive verb
- 1 1.1 [árboles/cebollas] to plant; [semillas] to sow 1.2 [postes] to put in; [tienda] to pitch, put up
- 2 [familiar/colloquial] 2.1 (abandonar) [novio] to ditch [familiar/colloquial], to dump [familiar/colloquial]; [estudios] to give up, to quit (inglés norteamericano/American English) to chuck in (inglés británico/British English) [familiar/colloquial] planté la carrera en segundo curso I quit o/or dropped out of college in the second year [familiar/colloquial] a la una lo planta todo y se larga at one o'clock he drops everything and leaves 2.2 (no acudir a una cita) su novio la plantó el día de la boda her fiancé stood her up o/or jilted her on their wedding day los invité a cenar a mi casa y me plantaron I invited them to dinner but they didn't turn o/or show up
- 3 [familiar/colloquial] 3.1 (poner) lo planté en la calle I threw o/or [familiar/colloquial] chucked him out fue y plantó su silla delante del televisor she went and plonked o/or stuck her chair right in front of the television [familiar/colloquial] plantó su maleta en mi habitación she dumped her suitcase in my room 3.2 [beso] to plant le plantó una bofetada she slapped his face
verbo pronominal/pronominal verb (plantarse)
- 1 [familiar/colloquial] (quedarse, pararse) to plant oneself [familiar/colloquial] se plantó delante de la puerta he planted himself in front of the door [familiar/colloquial] el caballo se plantó delante del obstáculo the horse stopped dead in front of the fence se plantó en su actitud he dug his heels in [familiar/colloquial]
- 2 [familiar/colloquial] (llegar, presentarse) me planto ahí en media hora I'll be there in half an hour se plantó aquí con tres amigas she turned o/or showed up here with three friends
- 3 3.1 [Juegos/Games] (en cartas) to stick; (en una apuesta) to stick 3.2 (Andes) [familiar/colloquial], (en un vicio) to give up [familiar/colloquial], to give up smoking ( o/or drinking etc)
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
A piñata is a hollow figure made of cardboard, or from a clay pot lined with colored paper. Filled with fruit, candy, toys, etc, and hung up at parties, people take turns to stand in front of them blindfolded and try to break them with a stick. They feature in Mexican posadas