Translation of razón in English:
nombre femenino/feminine noun
- 1 (motivo, causa) reason tuvo sus razones para actuar así he had his reasons for acting like that la razón por la que te lo digo the reason (that) I'm telling you ¿por qué razón lo hiciste? why did you do it? la huelga ha de ser la razón por la que or por la cual no vino it must have been the strike that prevented him from coming no sé la razón que lo movió a hacer una cosa así I don't know what made him do o/or what induced him to do a thing like that se enojó y con razón she got angry and rightly so o/or and with good reason con razón o sin ella el caso es que se enfadó the fact is that, rightly or wrongly, she lost her temper se quejan sin razón they're complaining for nothing o/or for no good reason se quejan con razón they have good reason to complain, they have cause for complaint ¡con razón no contestaban el teléfono! no wonder they didn't answer the phone!, that's why o/or that explains why they didn't answer the phone! por una u otra razón siempre llega tarde he always arrives late for one reason or another razón de más para venir a vernos all the more reason to come and see us no hay razón para que no te quedes there's no reason why you can't stay por razones de seguridad for security reasons en razón de because of nadie resulta discriminado en razón de su edad, sexo o raza nobody is discriminated against on the grounds of o/or because of (their) age, sex or race la posibilidad de que haya sido secuestrado en razón del puesto que ocupa the possibility that he might have been kidnapped because of o/or on account of the position he holds en razón de los últimos acontecimientos in view of o/or owing to recent events atender or atenerse or avenirse a razones to listen to reason
- 2 (información) Se alquila. Razón: portería For rent, inquiries to the super/caretaker Se vende bicicleta. Razón: este establecimiento Bicycle for sale, inquire within Se dan clases de inglés. Razón: 874256 English lessons given. Call 874256 dar razón de algo/algn to give information about sth/sb no pudieron or supieron darnos razón de su paradero they were unable to tell us where to find him, they were unable to give us any information as to his whereabouts preguntó a todo el que encontraba si la habían visto pasar, pero nadie le dio razón [familiar/colloquial] he asked everyone he came across if they had seen her go by, but no one could help him mandar razón a algn [anticuado] to send word to sb
- 3 (verdad, acierto) la razón está de su parte he's in the right esta vez tú tienes la razón this time you're right tuve que darle la razón I had to admit she was right me da la razón como a los locos [familiar/colloquial] he just humors me tener or llevar razón to be right tienes toda la razón del mundo you're absolutely right
- 4 4.1 (inteligencia) reason actuó guiado por la razón he acted on reason desde que tengo uso de razón for as long as I can remember 4.2 (cordura) reason entrar en razón to see reason o/or sense perder la razón to lose one's reason, to go out of one's mind (en sentido hiperbólico) to take leave of one's senses
- 5 [Matemáticas/Mathematics] ratio salimos a razón de 500 pesos cada uno it came out at 500 pesos each o/or a head
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Sherry is produced in an area of chalky soil known as albariza lying between the towns of Puerto de Santa María, Sanlúcar de Barrameda, and Jerez de la Frontera in Cádiz province. It is from Jerez that sherry takes its English name. Sherries, made from grape varieties including Palomino and Pedro Ximénez, are drunk worldwide as an aperitif, and in Spain as an accompaniment to