- 1 [persona/organización/país] to represent no estaba representado por un abogado he was not represented by a lawyer representó a Suecia en los campeonatos he represented Sweden in the championships, he played ( o swam etc) for Sweden in the championships los que no puedan asistir deben hacerse representar por alguien those who cannot attend should send a representative o proxy
- 2 [obra] to perform, put on; [papel] to play representó el papel de Cleopatra she played Cleopatra o the part of Cleopatra
- 3 (aparentar) to look no representa la edad que tiene he doesn't look the age he is representa unos cuarenta años she looks about forty no representa lo que costó it doesn't look as expensive as it was
- 5 (reproducir) [dibujo/fotografía] to show, depict la medalla representa a la Virgen the medallion depicts the Virgin Mary la escena representa una calle de los arrabales the scene shows o depicts a street in the poor quarters la obra representa fielmente la sociedad de fines de siglo the play accurately portrays society at the turn of the century
- 6 (equivaler a, significar) to represent esto representa un aumento del 5% con respecto al año pasado this represents a 5% increase on last year para él no representa ningún sacrificio it's no sacrifice for him nos representa un gasto inesperado it means o involves an unexpected expense introducir la modificación representaría tres días de trabajo introducing the modification would mean o involve three days' work
representarse v pron
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
Today is Fiesta de Santiago (St James' Day). The famous Camino de Santiago, the pilgrimage of thousands of people from all over Spain and many other parts of Europe to the holy city of Santiago de Compostela, takes place in the week leading up to St James' Day, 25 July. The city also has its fiestas around this time. The streets are full of musicians and performers for two weeks of celebrations culminating in the Festival del Apóstol.