Translation of sostener in English:
verbo transitivo/transitive verb
- 1 (apoyar) 1.1 [estructura/techo] to hold up, support; [carga/peso] to bear tenían que sostenerlo los dos it needed both of them to support him o hold him o prop him up 1.2 (en un estado) to keep las fuerzas que lo sostuvieron en el poder the forces which kept him in power lo único que la sostiene es la fuerza de voluntad it's sheer willpower that's keeping her going 1.3 (sustentar) [familia] to support, maintain
- 2 (sujetar, tener cogido) [paquete] to hold no tengas miedo, yo te sostengo don't be afraid, I've got you o I'm holding you o I'll keep hold of you sostén la puerta hold the door open ponte un pasador para sostener el pelo put a barrette (inglés norteamericano/American English) o/or (inglés británico/British English) slide in your hair to keep it in place ( o/or up etc)
- 3 [conversación/relación/reunión] to have sostuvieron una acalorada discusión they had a heated discussion no he sostenido nunca una relación duradera I've never had a lasting relationship la polémica que sostiene con Godoy the dispute that he and Godoy are engaged in o/or that he is carrying on with Godoy
- 4 4.1 (opinar) to hold yo siempre he sostenido que … I have always maintained o/or held that … 4.2 [argumento/afirmación] to support, back up no tienes pruebas para sostener esa afirmación you don't have any proof to back up o/or support that statement
verbo pronominal/pronominal verb (sostenerse)
- 1 1.1 (no caerse) la estructura se sostiene sola the structure stays up o/or stands up without support estaba tan débil que apenas se sostenía en pie he was so weak that he could hardly stand la planta ya no se sostiene the plant doesn't stand up on its own o/or can't support itself any more 1.2 (en un estado) to remain se sostuvo en el poder a pesar de la crisis she managed to stay o/or remain in power despite the crisis la economía se ha sostenido firme the economy has held o/or stood firm se sostuvo en su negativa he kept o/or stuck firmly to his refusal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Find clear and straightforward guidance that will help you improve your Spanish grammar, pronunciation, and writing skills...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the