- 1 (dicho) See examples: no existía tal tesoro, todo era fruto de su imaginaciónyo nunca he dicho tal cosathere was no such treasure, he had made it all upnunca recibí tales instruccionesI have never said anything of the kind o anything of the sortI never received any such instructions
- 2 (seguido de consecuencia) See examples: su desesperación era tal or era tal su desesperación que llegó a pensar en el suicidiose llevó tal disgusto or se llevó un disgusto tal que estuvo llorando toda la tardehis despair was such o such was his despair that he even contemplated suicidehabía tal cantidad de gente que no pudimos entrarshe was so upset (that) she spent the whole afternoon cryingthere were such a lot of o so many people that we couldn't get in
- si quieres que te traten como a un adulto, compórtate como tales usted el secretario y como tal tiene ciertas responsabilidadesif you want to be treated like an adult, behave like oneque si tal y que si cual estaban pintando, poniendo tablas nuevas y tal (España)you are the secretary and as such you have certain responsibilitiesme dijo que si eras un tal y un cual …they were painting, putting in new boards and so on o and that sort of thingson tal para cual [familiar]he said all kinds of terrible things about youhe's just as bad as she is o they're as bad as each other o they're two of a kind
- 1 [familiar] (en preguntas) See examples: hola ¿qué tal? ¿qué tal estuvo la fiesta?¿qué tal es Marisa?how was the party?what's Marisa like?
- 2 (en locuciones) con tal de+
infinitivo, hace cualquier cosa con tal de llamar la atencióncon tal de no tener que volver mañanahe'll do anything to get attentioncon tal (de) que+as long as I don't have to come back tomorrow subjuntivo, con tal (de) que no se entere nadie, pagará lo que le pidamosquédatelo por ahora, con tal (de) que me lo devuelvas antes del vierneshe'll pay whatever we ask to stop anybody finding outdale otro, cualquier cosa con tal (de) que se callekeep it for now, as long as o provided you give it back (to me) before Fridaytal (y) como, tal (y) como están las cosasgive her another one, anything to keep her quietdéjalo tal (y) como lo encontrastethe way things arehazlo tal (y) como te indicóleave it just the way you found it o just as you found ittal cual, me lo dijo así, tal cualdo it exactly as she told you o just as she told youno cambié nada, lo dejé todo tal cualshe said just that, word for wordel postre le quedó igualito al de la foto, tal cualI didn't change anything, I left everything exactly as it was o just as it wastal vez ¿vas a ir? — tal vezthe dessert came out exactly as it looked in the phototal vez no se enteró or no se haya enteradoare you going to go? — maybe o I'll seese me ocurrió que tal vez estuviera or estaría allí esperándomemaybe o perhaps o it's possible she hasn't heardit occurred to me that he might be there waiting for me
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan
Find out how to write letters in Spanish, including advice on greetings, layout, endings...
Opus Dei - Latin for "God's Work" - is a Catholic organization founded in Spain in 1928. The Opus became very influential in Spanish society, above all by founding schools and universities. The aim was to create an élite which would spread Christian ideals throughout society. The University of Navarre is one of its foremost institutions.