Translation of tapar in English:
verbo transitivo/transitive verb
- 1 (cubrir) [caja] to put the lid on; [botella/frasco] to put the top on; [olla] to cover, put the lid on tapé bien el agua I put the top tightly on the water (bottle) tapó los muebles con unas sábanas viejas she covered the furniture with some old sheets cuélgalo ahí y así tapa la mancha hang it there, that way it'll cover (up) the stain le tapó la boca para que no gritara he put his hand over her mouth so that she wouldn't scream la bufanda le tapaba parte de la cara the scarf covered o/or hid part of his face
- 2 2.1 [agujero/hueco] to fill in; [puerta/ventana] to block up 2.2 (Andes) (México/Mexico) [muela] to fill me taparon dos muelas I had two fillings tengo todas las muelas tapadas all my teeth are filled 2.3 [defecto/error/crimen] to cover up el maquillaje le tapa la cicatriz the makeup hides the scar
- 3 3.1 [vista/luz] to block quítate, que me estás tapando get out of the way, you're blocking my view el edificio de enfrente nos tapa todo el sol the building opposite us completely blocks out the sun no me tapes la luz you're in my light 3.2 [salida/entrada] to block 3.3 [excusado/caño] (América Latina/Latin America) to block
verbo intransitivo/intransitive verb
verbo pronominal/pronominal verb (taparse)
- 1 (reflexivo/reflexive) (cubrirse) se tapó la cara con las manos he covered his face with his hands tápate la garganta, que vas a coger frío put something around your neck; you'll catch cold se metió en la cama y se tapó bien he got into bed and covered himself up si sales, tápate bien que hace frío wrap up well o/or warm if you're going out, it's cold
- 2 2.1 [oídos/nariz] (+ me/te/le etc) to get o/or become blocked cada vez que viajo en avión se me tapan los oídos every time I fly, my ears get blocked tengo la nariz tapada my nose is blocked 2.2 (América Latina/Latin America) [caño/excusado] to get blocked
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Here is a selection of useful words and phrases you will need in real-life situations while you're visiting Spain and other Spanish-speaking countries...
The current Spanish Constitution (Constitución Española) was approved in the