Definition of Acanthocephala in English:
A small phylum of parasitic invertebrates that comprises the thorny-headed worms.
- Nielsen and Nielsen et al. come to generally comparable results, although sometimes the additional taxa Rotifera, Acanthocephala and Chaetognatha were included in Aschelminthes.
- Micrognathozoa lack this characteristic feature and, therefore, are postulated to be more basal in the Gnathifera, as a sister-group either to Gnathostomulida or Rotifera / Acanthocephala.
- The sister - group relationship between Gnathostomulida and Rotifera + Acanthocephala was first mentioned by Rieger and Tyler.
acanthocephalan adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- Alewives caught off the Atlantic coast were found to host the following parasites: acanthocephalans, cestode, trematodes, copepods, and nematodes.
- However, among helminth parasites, e.g., trematodes, cestodes, nematodes, and acanthocephalans, this is not the case.
- Parsimony analyses recover a paraphyletic Rotifera, where a bdelloid rotifer and acanthocephalans form a monophyletic clade.
Definition of Acanthocephala in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan