Definition of Acholi in English:
1 (plural same) A member of a farming and pastoral people of northern Uganda and South Sudan.
- One of them was the Acholi, a tribe that populates the northern Gulu region where the couple struggled for years to build their hospital.
- The Acholi is the dominant tribe in northern Uganda.
- The Acholi are located in the Gulu, Kitgum and Pader districts, while the Langi are in the neighboring Lango district.
2The Nilotic language of the Acholi.
- The Western Nilotic language groups include the Langi and Acholi as well as the Alur.
- But, Okot's topical, graphic, and exciting version, read side by side with my ponderous lines, should yield to the reader as much of what the Acholi original has as is possible.
- Mother tongue proficiency in Acholi, Ateso, Kumam or Lango and excellent English and/or French are required.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Acholi or their language.
- The Acholi tribe has sophisticated rites of forgiveness and reconciliation, a lesson to those of us in the West.
- Some reference to the classical West African epics, to Oko p'Bitek's Acholi songs, or the long tradition of Swahili literature would have been useful.
- The Acholi and Langi ethnic groups were particular objects of Amin's political persecution because they had supported Obote and made up a large part of the army.
the name in Acholi.
Definition of Acholi in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia