- A gregarious and territorial penguin of Antarctica, perhaps the most familiar of all the penguins. The adults have a distinctive white ring around the eye.
More example sentences
- Pygoscelis adeliae, family Spheniscidae
- The researchers examined well-preserved bones of Adélie penguins found in Antarctica and compared them to the birds’ living descendants.
- The total migration for the Adélie penguins from their wintering area is on the order of several hundred miles, much of which they cover by swimming.
- ‘We've predicted that the Adélie penguin will soon be locally extinct,’ Fraser, of the Polar Oceans Research Group, said.