- 1not know someone from Adam
- Not know or be completely unable to recognize the person in question.Example sentences
- There's nothing more transparent than a politician smiling and greeting you like a long lost friend when you know well he doesn't know you from Adam.
- If you bank in the high street the person behind the counter doesn't know you from Adam.
- And despite the fact that he doesn't know me from Adam, he is prepared to trust me with all that money.
From Hebrew ῾ādām 'man', later taken to be a name.
Words that rhyme with Adammacadam, madam, Madame
Definition of Adam in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.