nounChristian Theology, chiefly historical
A person holding the view that Jesus is the Son of God by adoption only.
More example sentences
- What made Jesus special, the Adoptionists believed, was that Jesus was more righteous than everyone else.
- The Gnostics were another losing faction and the exact opposite, Christologically, of the Adoptionists.
- Lastly, Nestorianism once more showed itself in the Adoptionists of Spain, and gave occasion to the great Council of Frankfort.
- More example sentences
- It is doubtful that their Adoptionism was derived from the Bonosians, who were biblical unitarians.
- The historical record of Adoptionism in Spain is relatively short, lasting only a few decades and beginning in the 780's.
- This, the original form of Adoptionism, asserts a double sonship in Christ: one by generation and nature, and the other by adoption and grace.
More definitions of AdoptionistDefinition of Adoptionist in:
- The British & World English dictionary