Definition of Adoptionist in English:
nounChristian Theology , chiefly historical
A person holding the view that Jesus is the Son of God by adoption only.
- What made Jesus special, the Adoptionists believed, was that Jesus was more righteous than everyone else.
- The Gnostics were another losing faction and the exact opposite, Christologically, of the Adoptionists.
- Lastly, Nestorianism once more showed itself in the Adoptionists of Spain, and gave occasion to the great Council of Frankfort.
- Example sentences
- It is doubtful that their Adoptionism was derived from the Bonosians, who were biblical unitarians.
- The historical record of Adoptionism in Spain is relatively short, lasting only a few decades and beginning in the 780's.
- This, the original form of Adoptionism, asserts a double sonship in Christ: one by generation and nature, and the other by adoption and grace.
Definition of Adoptionist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia