Definition of African elephant in English:
The elephant native to Africa, which is larger than the Indian elephant and has larger ears and a two-lipped trunk.
- Loxodonta africana, family Elephantidae
- The corruption scores were then measured against three well-surveyed components of biodiversity: African elephants, black rhinoceroses, and forest cover.
- The extinct beasts are more closely related to Asian elephants than to African elephants, the researchers found, and the three species diverged within a surprisingly short period of time.
- New DNA research reveals that woolly mammoths were more closely related to modern Asian elephants than to African elephants.
Definition of African elephant in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.