Definition of Africanism in English:
1A feature of language or culture regarded as characteristically African.
- So how might we see Africanisms, or African cultural traits, in the material record here?
- While it recalls the Africanisms associated with adapting to new roles, language, and land, it also invigorates cultural consciousness.
- In 1949, his seminal research in Africanisms in the Gullah Dialect detailed the ways African languages impacted American English.
2The belief that black Africans and their culture should predominate in Africa.
- Narrow and all defined tribal loyalties are an obstacle towards embracing a broader sense of nationalism, Africanism, and democracy.
- But they were not offering a black version of exclusive white South Africanism - whites as well as blacks were part of the nation.
- Another aspect of their Africanism is intellectual, a conscious stance that systematically questions the Western perspective on reality.
Africanist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- ‘Why does nobody care about blacks’ was a recent headline in the self-professed Africanist magazine.
- It has received extraordinary attention in the media and has brought contemporary African art to the notice of the non-Africanist museum and gallery goer while at the same time sparking lively discussion among Africanist art scholars.
- Research activism of this kind was found most visibly in the attacks on diasporic Africanist scholars.
Definition of Africanism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan