Definition of Afrikaner in English:
An Afrikaans-speaking person in South Africa, especially one descended from the Dutch and Huguenot settlers of the 17th century.
- In my academic posting here I report a study of South African Afrikaners (whites of Dutch origin).
- After 1845, the Pedi also had to contend with an influx of white Afrikaner settlers, some of whom seized Pedi children and forced them to work as slaves.
- Key innovators were often British settlers, but Afrikaners, still the predominant landowners, were drawn into the commercial pastoral economy.
- Example sentences
- They represented our country with the notion that Afrikanerdom and the Lord would get them through.
- His role as lecturer in what was a bastion of Afrikanerdom is of fairly recent origin.
- This rule by the generals was wholly unacceptable to the great notables of Afrikanerdom.
Definition of Afrikaner in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan