Definition of Ainu in English:
1 (plural same or Ainus) A member of an aboriginal people of Japan, physically distinct (with light skin color and round eyes) from the majority population.
- Until 400 years ago, the Ainu controlled Hokkaido, the northernmost of Japan's four main islands.
- However, the author fails to mention whether the Japanese brought Buddhism or Confucianism to the Ainu.
- Other linguistic minorities include the Korean-Japanese and the Ainu.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Ainu or their language.
- This exhibition includes Ainu art which attracted great interest recently when exhibited in Europe.
- Kamui-Chikap, in Ainu mythology, is the ‘God Bird’ who watches the people of the Earth from the branches of the tallest trees.
- The spirit-sending festival, called i-omante, either for a bear or striped owl, was the most important Ainu festival.
Early 19th century: the name in Ainu, literally 'man, person'.
Words that rhyme with AinuManu • Vishnu • ingénue
Definition of Ainu in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan