(also Alawite ˈaləwīt)
Definition of Alawi in English:
noun (plural Alawis)
A member of a Shiite Muslim group living mainly in Syria.
- Alawis hold the positions of real power in the ruling party.
- "We are about 50,000 Alawites," he said.
- Mr. Hadimogullari is an Alawite whose grandparents found themselves Turkish citizens when his hometown, Samandag, formerly part of Syria, was ceded to Turkey in 1923.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting the Alawis.
- There was considerable tension within the Alawi community.
- It is a Sunni town with an Alawite town less than a mile to the south, interspersed with Christian and more Sunni settlements.
- Tripoli is home to many members of Lebanon's small Alawite minority population.
Definition of Alawi in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan