- A water-soluble copper-containing blue dye used as a histological stain for glycosaminoglycans.More example sentences
- Staining was performed with Alcian blue van Gieson, hematoxylin and eosin, and Alcian blue or safranin O or both.
- Slides from each subject were stained with hematoxylin and eosin and Alcian blue / periodic acid-Schiff for histologic evaluation.
- Sections were stained with hematoxylin-eosin, Alcian blue, Masson's trichrome, van Gieson, and periodic acid-Schiff stains.
1940s: Alcian perhaps from (phth)al(o)cyan(ine) with a phonetic respelling.
More definitions of Alcian blueDefinition of Alcian blue in:
- The British & World English dictionary