Definition of Amboinese in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Ambon.
- Third, the book hardly touches upon the indigenous peoples and societies who produced the finer spices, especially the Moluccans, Amboinese and Bandanese.
- For generations, Ambonese of both faiths practiced peaceful coexistence - under which mosques and churches were built together.
- Many Ambonese, Keiese and Menadonese were employed as officials, police, teachers and missionaries.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the island of Ambon, its people, or their language.
- Traditional Indonesian music - Javanese, Ambonese, Sundanese, etc. - and some old Dutch tunes fill the air.
- Both within the Ambonese community, and in scholarly discourse, it is frequently noted that Muslim villages in Maluku have retained their indigenous languages.
Definition of Amboinese in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.