Definition of American in English:
1Of, relating to, or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants: the election of a new American president
More example sentences
- I suggest to her that the desire to communicate, and the ability to do so, are very American characteristics, and very good ones.
- A large image of the flag of the United States honours six American astronauts lost with the Columbia.
- He was nonetheless to spend many years with his American wife in the United States, lecturing and teaching.
1.1Relating to or denoting the continents of America: the American continent south of the tropic of Cancer
More example sentences
- In terms of geography, both Panama City and Port of Spain are almost at the centre of the American continent.
- Rising in all its glory to shine not only in every part of Europe, but also on the American continent.
- If the whole of the earth's population were standing on the American continent, would the ground sink?
nounBack to top
1A native or citizen of the United States.
- Scott Boehnen, 33, an American, became a citizen after living in Britain for six years.
- He is an American by citizenship and by his sworn allegiance to the laws of this land as a U.S. senator.
- My guess would would be they're a lot more likely to have passports than native born Americans.
1.1 [usually with adjective] A native or inhabitant of any of the countries of North, South, or Central America.
- While I am not Jewish, I went through a similar process as an American from the South.
- This is not a political question, it's a feeling as an American for other Americans.
- The people who taught me the most about what it means to be American are African Americans.
2The English language as it is used in the United States; American English.
- It's nice, though, that the majority of accents I hear around me are not English or American.
- His first stop was Los Angeles English School for a year where he learned to speak perfect American!
- The only drawback is that the software is available only in English and the accent is British or American.
- Example sentences
- I am becoming a little more Canadian each day, and yet I have never in my life felt more American, even as that Americanness is now undergoing some kind of transformation of its own.
- Viewers are invited to celebrate their Americanness by buying a flag kit, complete with stars-and-stripes button and stickers.
- But Britishness, like Americanness, need not be like that.
Words that rhyme with AmericanAfrican • hurricane
Definition of American in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.