- 1A noted 1930 painting by Grant Wood (1891–1942), depicting a dour-faced farmer and his daughter in front of their house, with a Gothic-style window in the background. It is representative of traditional American rural values, and is widely copied and parodied.More example sentences
- We look at Grant Wood's American Gothic and imagine a storyline that goes with it.
- Wood had recently exhibited his now legendary painting American Gothic at the Art Institute of Chicago to great acclaim.
- Parts of the portrait shared similarities to American Gothic, for example the sharp outline, rural qualities and the interest in pattern.
- 1.1 [as modifier] Conservative in moral and social views.More example sentences
- This Puritan idea gave rise to all sorts of conventions, but most notably, the American Gothic tradition, or modern horror.
- As much American Gothic as Japanese horror, it's a demanding, unsettling and memorable film.
- Yet, nevertheless, it is his more explorative work that highlights American Gothic.