Definition of American Indian in English:
- But the chart toppers were not alone as punks, a mechanic and a North American Indian took to the streets of Whitworth to raise money for eight-year-old Rose.
- This is the third installment in a trilogy of works by the native theatre company that examines what it means to be North American Indian in the 21st century.
- I have a Hebrew last name even though I am not Jewish, but North American Indian.
adjectiveBack to top
- Students turn their attention to the study of American Indian tribes, including the Hopi, Navajo, Apache and others.
- Until about 20 years ago, the Navajo language was one of the most resilient American Indian languages in modern U.S. history.
- As with other American Indian languages and cultures, those of the Navajos have undergone and continue to undergo tremendous changes.
The term American Indian has been steadily replaced, especially in official contexts, by the more recent term Native American (first recorded in the 1950s and becoming prominent in the 1970s). The latter is preferred by some as being a more accurate description (the word Indian recalling Columbus’s assumption that, on reaching America, he had reached the east coast of India). American Indian is still widespread in general use, however, partly because it is not normally regarded as offensive by American Indians themselves. See also Native American, Amerindian, and Indian.
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.