- 1A word or phrase peculiar to or originating in the US.More example sentences
- I wish there was an Americanism for the 'cheers' expression that the Brits and other Europeans use for signing off their emails.
- Very soon after the Italians' arrival, all dialects became infused with Americanisms, quickly creating a new form of communication often intelligible only to immigrants.
- It seems the Germans are trying to make up for the loss of the omnipresent word by creating Americanisms throughout Germany.
- 1.1The qualities regarded as definitive of America or Americans: the same Americanism that Whitman sees in the farmerMore example sentences
- Post-war conditions brought this process of defining and constricting the meanings of Americanism into sharper focus.
- Many thinkers have noted that Americanism is inspired by or close to or intertwined with Puritanism.
- There is room here for only 100 percent Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
More definitions of AmericanismDefinition of Americanism in:
- The British & World English dictionary