A barbiturate drug used as a sedative and a hypnotic.
- Alternative name: 5-ethyl-5-isopropylbarbituric acid, or its sodium salt (sodium amytal); chemical formula: C11H18N2O3
More example sentences
- Intravenous sodium amytal (Amytal, Luminal, Nembutal) elicited no benefit, but intravenous zolpidem did.
- Well, I'm going to ask people to take a look at that magazine, because it discusses a drug called sodium amytal, which is a hallucinogenic barbiturate.
- They used a variety of methods, including hypnosis, injections of sodium amytal, guided imagery, dream work, participation in survivor groups, even massage therapy to recover ‘body memories’ of abuse.
Definition of Amytal in:
- The British & World English dictionary