- 1A Roman Catholic devotion commemorating the Incarnation of Jesus and including the Hail Mary, said at morning, noon, and sunset.More example sentences
- The old bell system has been replaced by a new automatic system which rings for the angelus at noon and 6 pm and also for the various Mass times.
- It was the mid-morning angelus and the chanting could be heard echoing throughout the halls and vibrating the stiff walls as the slow cries to the Virgin were heard.
- I wonder what reaction an impromptu angelus in the other corner would evoke?
- 1.1A ringing of church bells announcing this.More example sentences
- Every day on the news, after the angelus rang, there would be a story of one more suicide. An American tourist jumped of the Cliffs of Moher, the most gorgeous sheer drop on the West Coast of Ireland.
mid 17th century: from the Latin phrase Angelus domini 'the angel of the Lord', the opening words of the devotion.
More definitions of AngelusDefinition of Angelus in:
- The British & World English dictionary