Definition of Arabist in English:
1A person who studies Arabic civilization or language.
- In casting off Western civilization, Thesiger gained admittance to one of the most elite and self-consciously literary tribes in modern English writing - the British Arabists.
- He is among the best of the Western reporters now in the Middle East in part because he is an Arabist.
- Traveller, Arabist, and great Victorian outsider, Burton joined the Indian army in 1842.
1.1A person who supports Arab nationalism or political interests.
- However, in a deeply philosophical sense, the actions of both the Arabists in the Arab world and the Unionists in Turkey were an expression of a larger problem: the decay and final disintegration of the Ottoman empire.
- Napoleon hired a group of Arabs and Arabists who would translate a series of pronouncements.
- Too bad his analysis is rejected, out of hand, by most Arabists.
Definition of Arabist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan