- A result stating that a body totally or partially immersed in a fluid is subject to an upward force equal in magnitude to the weight of fluid it displaces.More example sentences
- Angeli examined fluid statics based on Archimedes' principle and Torricelli's experiments.
- Why an object floats can be understood from Archimedes' principle as a special situation where the weight of water displaced by the object equals the weight of the object.
- The needed flash of insight that came to him as he climbed into an overflowing bathtub-his body was displacing an equal volume of water-not only solved his problem but led to Archimedes' principle.
More definitions of Archimedes' principleDefinition of Archimedes' principle in:
- The British & World English dictionary