Definition of Arctic tern in English:
A red-billed tern that breeds in the Arctic and adjacent areas, migrating to Antarctic regions for the winter.
- Sterna paradisaea, family Sternidae
- Other notable characteristics include an exceptionally powerful head and neck and unusually long legs, which distinguish them from other terns such as Arctic terns.
- Throughout the isles you'll come across throngs of Arctic terns and both species of skuas, as well as black guillemots, gannets, shags, and Storm and Leach's petrels.
- The country's wilderness - from alpine flowers to colonies of Max shearwaters, guillemots, razor bills and Arctic terns - complements its ages-old castles and ancient Standing Stones.
Definition of Arctic tern in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan