Definition of Arctic tern in English:
A red-billed tern that breeds in the Arctic and adjacent areas, migrating to Antarctic regions for the winter.
- Sterna paradisaea, family Sternidae
- Other notable characteristics include an exceptionally powerful head and neck and unusually long legs, which distinguish them from other terns such as Arctic terns.
- Throughout the isles you'll come across throngs of Arctic terns and both species of skuas, as well as black guillemots, gannets, shags, and Storm and Leach's petrels.
- The country's wilderness - from alpine flowers to colonies of Max shearwaters, guillemots, razor bills and Arctic terns - complements its ages-old castles and ancient Standing Stones.
Definition of Arctic tern in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.