- An influential heresy denying the divinity of Christ, originating with the Alexandrian priest Arius (circa 250-circa 336). Arianism maintained that the Son of God was created by the Father and was therefore neither coeternal with the Father, nor consubstantial.More example sentences
- Opposing all forms of Arianism, which denied Christ's divinity, Athanasius taught that Christ the Son, and likewise the Holy Spirit, were of the same being as God the Father.
- This is quite different from the concentration on Proverbs 8: 22 during the early theological controversy of Arianism.
- In the meantime, the main heresy condemned at the council, Arianism, became ascendant and almost triumphed over orthodoxy.
More definitions of ArianismDefinition of Arianism in:
- The British & World English dictionary