Definition of Armenian in English:
Of or relating to Armenia, its language, or the Christian Church established there.
- There are a small number of Uniates, Seventh-Day Adventists, Baptists, Pentecostalists, Armenian Apostolics, and Molokans.
- Whenever I try to arrive in the church early to avoid the crowds, there is an Armenian ceremony going on in the grotto.
- There are similar statistics for the historic Armenian quarter in Jerusalem and the Coptic Christian minority in Egypt.
nounBack to top
1A native of Armenia or a person of Armenian descent.
- Thus Circassians, Albanians, Slavs, Greeks, Armenians and even Italians rose to occupy the highest offices of the Empire.
- Some believe that Armenians are native to the Anatolian Highlands and the Ararat Valley of west-central Asia.
- There are also urban linguistic enclaves of Armenians, Greeks, Italians, and others.
2The Indo-European language of Armenia, spoken by around 4 million people and written in a distinctive alphabet of thirty-eight letters.
- One hundred fifty thousand report Armenian as the language spoken at home in 1990, up from 102,387 in 1980.
- Foreign language editions of his books include translations in Arabic, Armenian, Chinese, French, Hungarian, Russian, and Spanish.
- Other languages spoken in Iraq are Turkish, Aramaic, Kurdish, Armenian, and Persian.
Definition of Armenian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia