Definition of Aryan in English:
- Some time in the second millennium BCE the Aryan people arrived in north-west India.
- Believing that he had spoken to the ancient Iranian high god Ahura Mazda, Zoroaster undertook a reform of the old Indo-Iranian religion of the Aryan invaders of India and Iran.
- The use of honey was taken to India by its Aryan invaders and became associated with religious rites.
- In the early stages of Hitler's terror, the Jewish spouses of Aryans were spared transportation to ‘the East.’
- Hitler believed that the Aryans were a superior race.
- There he was with black hair, as far away as he could come in appearance from the Aryans, the master race with which he wanted to populate the earth.
nounBack to top
- The Jews figured in Nazi ideology as the arch-enemy of the Aryan race.
- They believe the Jews control the U.S. government and are out to destroy the Aryan race.
- The 1935 Nuremberg Race Laws against Jews outlawed mixed marriages in pursuit of a pure Aryan race.
This is based on Sanskrit ārya ‘noble’. Aryan is used by some as an equivalent of the term Indo-European for a language family. In the 19th century, the notion of an Aryan race corresponding to a definite Aryan language became current and was taken up by nationalistic historical and romantic writers. One of these was De Gobineau ( 1816–82), an anthropologist who linked the idea to a notion of inferiority of certain races. Later the term Aryan race was revived and used as propaganda in Nazi Germany.
Words that rhyme with Aryanagrarian, antiquarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, establishmentarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, Hanoverian, humanitarian, Hungarian, latitudinarian, libertarian, librarian, majoritarian, millenarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, totalitarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, utilitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.