- Of or relating to Asia or its people, customs, or languages.More example sentences
- I doubt whether Punjabi or the dozens of other Asian languages have this kind of importance.
- There is a shortage of European language interpreters but no lack of Asian language speakers.
- Similarly, my local library is full of books in Asian languages but no books in Gaelic.
nounBack to top
- A native of Asia or a person of Asian descent.More example sentences
- Note that I am in no way disrespecting Asia, Asians or Asian products with this name.
- It's heartening that the finalists have included Asians, West Indians and Chinese.
- It was also responsible for a gradual introduction of Indians and other Asians into British society.
late Middle English: from Latin Asianus, from Greek Asianos, from Asia (see Asia).
In North America, Asian refers to people from China, Japan, and other countries of East Asia, while in Britain it is used to refer to people who come from (or whose parents came from) India, Pakistan, or elsewhere in South Asia. See also oriental (usage).
More definitions of AsianDefinition of Asian in:
- The British & World English dictionary