Definition of Asian pear in English:
The crisp apple-shaped fruit of a tree that is native to Japan and China and cultivated in Australia and New Zealand. Also called nashi.
- This fruit is obtained from varieties of Pyrus pyrifolia, family Rosaceae
- Products like buttercup squash, table grapes, chestnuts, persimmons, avocados, tamarillos, boysenberries, and Nashi Asian pears, just demonstrate the wide diversity of horticultural exports from New Zealand to overseas markets.
- Unlike European pears, Asian pears must be tree-ripened for peak flavor and sweetness.
- We have more than 100 Asian pear trees in one of our orchards, and it's well-known that Asian pears are a smorgasbord for the coddling moth.
Definition of Asian pear in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.